The first Guildhall dates back to medieval times, when it was known as “The Bishop’s Guildhall”. At that time the building was under the control of the Bishop who exercised his feudal rights of criminal and civil justice.
The New Guildhall
The new Guildhall was built on the site of the old one. Alterations were then made to the building in 1829 which included the addition of the Grand Jury Room, extensions to the courts and new accommodation for the judges. Since 1835 the building has been under the control of local government and is now managed by Salisbury City Council.
In 2010-2011 there was a further major refurbishment. Changes were made to improve public access to the building, to bring further rooms into public use and to do necessary maintenance and repairs.